There are millions of animals that are homeless for a variety of reasons. Some may wind up in shelters or rescue groups due to neglect or no fault of their previous owners. Shelters and rescue groups are good places to find a match with the perfect pet for your family. Adopting an animal from a shelter or rescue may include vaccinations, spay/neuter, deworming, and microchips. Typically, adopting a new pet from a shelter or rescue group costs less than purchased animals that may require these veterinary services. At Animal General, our Manhattan, NY team can help you with animal adoptions and wellness services to ensure your new pet stays healthy.
Some Key Benefits of Animal Adoption
Adopting a new pet can be an exciting and rewarding experience. You are helping your new pet start a new life while reducing the number of animals that are abandoned in shelters. There are several benefits to consider when you adopt an animal, including:
- You help rescued animals start a new life in a caring and loving home when you adopt a pet.
- Older animals may be trained already and when you decide to adopt, you can learn more about them before taking them home.
- You may save money with animal adoptions because adopted pets have vaccines, microchips, or other veterinarian services already.
There are some things to consider before you proceed with animal adoption such as:
- Compatibility with you and your family members.
- Temperament. Spend some time learning more about the behaviors and personalities of potential adoption candidates. Knowing if a pet’s temperament suits you will lead to a better relationship for both of you.
- Choosing the right breed is also important. Researching different breeds and matching up with ones that have attributes you are looking for will help make a better fit. Active breeds need the right home and attention to live the healthiest possible life.
Veterinary Services in Manhattan, NY
If you live in Manhattan, NY, and are interested in animal adoptions, the veterinary professionals at Animal General are ready to assist you. In addition to information about shelters and animal rescue groups, we offer spaying and neutering, vaccinations, and other pet care services. Our animal hospital is fully equipped and staffed with a knowledgeable team dedicated to providing high-quality pet care. Call us today at (212) 501-9600 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our veterinarian.