• Blog >
  • Toxic Ingestion
RSS Feed

Toxic Ingestion

When Pets Show Symptoms of Toxic Ingestion, Call Your Veterinarian Immediately

There is no time to waste when you think your pets have been poisoned. The sooner your veterinarian can begin treatment, the better the outcome. Here are three things the veterinarians and staff at Animal General in New York City want you to know about toxic exposure and your pets.

The symptoms of pet poisoning are not always gastrointestinal.

It's natural to wonder whether pets have been poisoned when they are throwing up, but there are many other symptoms that may mean that your beloved pet has consumed or come in contact with a poisonous substance. Here are a few examples:

  • Sudden collapse, especially in younger animals, can be a result of toxic ingestion.
  • Drooling can be a result of neurotoxin exposure, as can twitching, rolling eyes, lethargy, or frantic, erratic behavior.
  • Certain kinds of halitosis are a tip off of toxic exposure. Poisons that cause liver damage may cause your pet to have breath that smells like ammonia.
  • Excessive thirst and urination, as well as an absence of thirst and urination, can be signs of exposure to poisons that affect the kidneys.
  • Black stools may indicate exposure to a substance that causes internal bleeding.

Many substances that are harmless for people can be harmful for pets.

Did you know that even the pollen from Easter lilies can kill a kitten? Or that even a small dose of chocolate can kill a puppy?

All kinds of lilies and all parts of the lily plant are toxic to cats. Cats that consume lilies will be fine for anywhere from 12 hours to five days, but they will have a sudden bout of vomiting and diarrhea. Then they will appear to be OK again for a few hours but develop kidney failure with often-fatal consequences unless they get treatment from the emergency vet. Azaleas, rhododendrons, philodendrons, milkweeds, castor beans, and cycad palms are all feline-toxic.

Dogs suffer toxic reactions to many foods that are fine for humans. The previously mentioned chocolate, marijuana edibles, macadamia nuts, coffee, grapes, onions, garlic, alcohol, and avocados can all result in toxic reactions in dogs.

All pets, not just cats and dogs, can suffer poisoning after exposure to household cleansers, pesticides, and prescription medications intended for people. When you think your pet has been exposed to a poison, it is a must to seek expert help. The Animal Poison Control Center is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for advice on identifying toxic substances. Their phone number is (855) 764-7661.,

If you even suspect that your pet has been poisoned, an emergency vet visit is in order.

Animal General is open seven days a week. Call ahead to (212) 501-9600 to request an appointment. Animal General's offices are located at 558 Columbus Ave, New York, NY, 10024.

Contact Us

Our Location

Weekend hours are subject to change – clients should contact the hospital for confirmation of hours on those days.

Main Office

Monday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Saturday:

see note above

Sunday:

see note above