Everyday Items That Are Poison to Cats
When you have a cat at home, it is important to make sure he is living in a safe environment. Our emergency vets in Manhattan will tell you which items you need to avoid keeping in your house. Our staff is passionate about keeping your cats happy and healthy.
Items To Avoid
While cats tend to love flowers as much as we do, some of them are poisonous to cats and should be kept out of your pet’s reach or even kept out of the house altogether. Most varieties of Lilies fall into this category, and your cat would only need to swallow one bite to become extremely sick and possibly die as a result. Even ingesting pollen from this flower or drinking water from a vase it is kept in can lead to kidney failure which may prove fatal.
Certain over-the-counter medications can also be deadly. This includes ibuprofen and both child and adult strength aspirin, as well as any naproxen. Ingesting one of these medications can cause kidney failure and stomach ulcers.
If you also have a dog at home, it is important to keep his medications away from your cat. Flea and tick medicines are specially formulated for dogs, so it can be deadly to felines. This type of medicine contains the same chemical that makes Chrysanthemums poisonous to cats. Even if a cat licks the medication off of the dog's fur it could ultimately kill your pet.
Antidepressants can also be poisonous to cats even though they find them appealing. The scent of certain medications can tempt a cat but ingesting them can be dangerous. This includes Zoloft, Prozac, Cymbalta, and Effexor. The effects of ingesting these medications include hypothermia and tremors.
Contact Animal General
Pet owners in Manhattan are urged to make an appointment at Animal General. Our emergency vets will administer the appropriate treatment needed to help your cat recover. If you have any questions or suspect that your pet has been poisoned, call us today at (212) 501-9600 to speak with one of our veterinarians.